My 12 Suggestions On How To Become A Sales Rock Star
This month Patricia Kennedy is hosting the “October Challenge: Your Best Advice for Real Estate Newbies”, in which she challenges us “Oldies” to think back on our own career, and write a post about the very best advice we got that could help a rookie become a rock star. I have had careers in three very different sales fields, but even though all three were very different from one another, they all required the same things in order to be successful. So My 12 Suggestions On How To Become A Sales Rock Star are:
1. Don’t take things personally!
- Don’t be discouraged if you are not welcomed with open arms.
- Don’t blame yourself for someone else’s frustration, if you are not the cause
- Sales can be difficult and frustrating. You have to have a thick skin.
2. Take time each day to count the good things!
- Many things happen every day. Focus on the positives!
- The Positives are what will keep you motivated.
- Avoid Negativity at all costs!
3. Under promise and over deliver!
- Don’t make promises you cannot keep!
- If you say you are going to do something, do it!
- Don’t just tell people what they want to hear!
- Don’t be someone who always says “yes”. A quick, explained and professional “no” is often as good as a “yes”.
4. Never stop learning!
- The more knowledgeable you are, the more valuable you are to those you provide your services to.
- Use your mistakes to become better at what you do.
- Take advantage of all the training opportunities offered to you.
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions!
5. Organize, Organize, Organize!
- Pay attention to details!
- Have a designated work space.
- Know how to access information quickly and efficiently.
- The more organized you are, the easier the job becomes.
6. Follow up, Follow up, Follow up!
- Don’t wait to hear from others, Be Proactive!
- Return all your calls promptly!
- Don’t leave anything for tomorrow!
- Tackle problems head on! The longer you wait the bigger the problem will become.
- Continue to contact your customers after the transaction is done.
7. Don’t become the Sanford and Son of Loan Originators!
- Don’t let others sellect you for the wrong reasons
- Don’t waste time working on transactions that have a chance of going anywhere.
8. Make a plan!
- Plan your week in advance.
- Stick to the plan as much as possible.
- Review what happened each day.
- Look for areas where you can improve your time management.
- Set appointments.
- Join several groups, and organizations.
- Attend Networking Events.
- Show up, Attend, but most importantly Participate – you never know who you will meet
- Make calls consistently
- Always have something to talk about
- Contact your sales manager for ideas
10. Ask for Quality Introductions!
- Develop excellent referral partner
- ALWAYS ask for referrals every opportunity you get.
- Don’t be afraid.
- Do you know anyone else I should be speaking with?
There is no magical formula on how to succeed in Sales, however, if My 12 Suggestions On How To Become A Sales Rock Star are followed, the chances of succeeding are pretty good.